Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Work in Progress: No Nukes Quilt


My work in progress this week my husband's No Nukes quilt that I have been working on for a couple years now. From my living room in the winter when the leaves are gone, I can see the Los Alamos National Laboratory where the nuclear bombs that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were made. The story of Sadako is my inspiration for sewing 1000 peace cranes. Please check out my peace crane page to read Sadako's story.

45 of the cranes I have sewn so far are in this quilt that I am making my husband for his 50th birthday! I finally basted it with wool batting and started quilting. First I stitched in the ditch around each peace crane and around the letters. Now I am doing an echo around each crane. I have no idea what I'll quilt next so I'm still figuring it out.



This is the day I basted it and my sweet dog Aiko.

This is loosely what it looked like on the design wall last year.


I am very excited to finish this one and so is my husband!



8 comments:

  1. Wow, this is going to be so beautiful! My Grandmother gave me that book when I was younger and it impacted me so much. I love your cranes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is looking wonderful! I love the design and it looks like it will be a fun one to quilt, too. Grats to your husband on his 50th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt and beautiful idea - are the cranes from a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennie! Yes it is a foundation piecing pattern from a pattern called Peace Quilt by Margaret Rolfe. SHe has given me permission to use the paper piece pattern to do my 1000 cranes. I bought her pattern at my LQS and I do not think it is available on line. There is another peace crane paper piece pattern that is though. The link is on my Peace Crane page. Thanks again for the kind words.

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful! What a wonderful project. It can not help but add peace to the world. I've read that book many times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind words!! Sew on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those origami cranes turned into quilt blocks are so beautiful that I don't want to leave your page. Could spend the whole day admiring them. They're stunning...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the concept behind your quilt. The use of cranes is wonderful and the quilt will be beautiful in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete