Sunday, March 1, 2015

First 2015 Finishes!

I got back in my sewing room over Christmas break and haven't left since! I have three finishes to share. First is the raffle quilt for the kids Montessori Charter School PTA. We are raising money to build the kids a playground at their new building which right now has no outdoor spaces yet for the kids. I am proud to say that the raffle was very successful.


My star quilts have become very popular and I have five orders for star quilts between now and October already which is very exciting for me! I make them really simple and actually the star is strip pieced so it goes pretty quick really because I am not doing appliqué or other settings, just modern quilting. I free motion quilted this one with spirals on my home machine.

This one next is our Pizza Box Challenge with the Northern New Mexico Quilt Guild. We chose fabrics and put them in a pizza box and our boxes were distributed each month to a different quilter who made a block with your fabric. At the end of the year we get our box back and have 12 beautifully pieced blocks made with your selected fabrics. It is challenging for sure to use other people's fabrics but this challenge is meant to be a chance to showcase your skills so you do get to have some beautiful work from other amazing quilters. My daughter who was 11 at the time chose the fabrics with me and helped me make the blocks for the pizza boxes that came through our sewing room each month and also helped me make some extras with our own fabric along the way so we had enough to make her a sweet bed quilt which I am sure she will be taking with her to college. This one is free motion quilted with paisleys edge to edge.

My third finish this year so far is this star that I had already pieced (similar to the raffle quilt fabrics) so I took it out and set it and decided to baste it with wool batting because I had never used wool before. I stitched the star in the ditch which makes a big difference I am learning. I also outlined the star diamonds and did some ruler work for the first time. This was a big break through for me because I never was successful at marking a quilt. I learned that the ditz mark-b-gone pen works really well for me. I free motion quilted some feathers and did some spirals for filler. I also learned doing this quilt that scale is important in quilting and didn't like the loops of the filler to be the same size as the loops of the feathers. But I really love the way the wool batting quilts up and love the quality of the quilt when snuggling under it. 




Yeah for finishes!


No comments:

Post a Comment