Monday, April 20, 2015

Retreat Booty

I cannot believe it has been a month since I have taken the time to post. I went to to our four-day long Guild retreat and sewed and hung out with amazing quilters and it was a super blast. Of course I was silly and did not take pictures at all. I stole some on-line from the Guild page cause it's not a quilty story without visuals.

So this is the booty from the retreat:





  • I finished two 65" lone stars, one for my cousin's wedding
  • Did three more purple scrap paper pieced stars paper piece patterns from Wombat Quilts Paper Piecing Mondays
  • Received an amazing 64 log cabin blocks already done and fabric cut for at least 30-40 more! (my first time inheriting someone else hard work- awesome)

  • Pieced a small simple community service quilt out of 8 matching blocks from the fabric sale
  • Pieced a swoon block
  • and made peace crane number 91 for a fellow quilters pizza box



This was my cozy spot. On the dark side of the room but near the pressing room and because the door was open, I had the whole table to my self so I could paper piece. Plus I had a great view of the room and great company.



 This beautiful quilt was worked on the entire retreat and now hangs in our State Capital at an art quilt show called Cultural Red that will be there through the summer. It really is beautiful.

Oh. I lied. I did take one and only one picture at the retreat this year. The food was Awesome!!


So back in my sewing room on the other days of the last month I created my first original paper piece pattern. This is what it looks like drawn. 

And then I copied it, cut it up and sewed the block remembering to add the 1/4 seam allowance to the edge of every piece. This is what the block came out like.

And quilted and bound. I tried the matchstick which I would only do on a small piece like this cause it took a lot of passes.





I have one finish this month and that is my Brother's birthday scrap quilt.




And that's my catch up post. Happy spring everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Even though I was there, I can't believe how productive you were at the retreat! I love your first paper-pieced design ... will you bring it to SFMQG on Saturday? I want to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete